Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lost soul

******************************************
This post was written in a hurry and needs some editing.
******************************************

The date is May 7, 2013. It's 8 am in the morning and I am wide awake and thinking aloud "What has gone wrong? Why are people ignoring me? Is it the people that have changed or have I changed?" As usual there are no answers and I get up and make my way towards the bathroom.

My family gives me a vague look as if I am a stranger coming out of their son's room. Hello guys - its the same old Akshay - whats wrong with you?" They just ignore my words and get back to their respective rooms. Worst was yet to come - I could not recognize the person standing in front of the mirror. I take a quick shower and run out of the bathroom.

I thank my wife for keeping my clothes and other stuff ready. My wife looks at me with a sarcastic smile and says "At your service sir! Is there anything else you want me to do?"

Something is seriously wrong. I ask her "What is the matter? Have I done something?" She said "You are not the person I loved before marraige - you are a different person altogether." She leaves the room upon saying this. I am dumb founded -no words to express my feelings.

I reach office and start checking my mails. Around 1130, I decide to meet my old office folks - its been a while since we met. Thanks to our busy schedules we could no longer have those mini meetings over lunch. More than the lunch it used to be the discussions that we used to look forward to everyday but now they were history.

My friends too give me a cold smile and get back to their laptops - this was one of the most heartening sights. I felt like jumping out of the window and ending this God damn life.

I get back to my solitary confinement (read as cabin) to ponder over the recent events. I suddenly realize that it was I who had messed up all the relations. I got so busy in the rat race that I had no time for family, friends and colleagues. It was I who had changed and not the people around me. Not anymore - I will be the same old Akshay from now on - I will continue to give my best at work but will also spend time with my loved ones. I take out my notepad to make notes on how to have a perfect work-life balance. There is a loud ringtone that disturbs my flow of thought and I hear someone saying - "Akshay, please turn off the alarm!".

I suddenly wake up and find my wife sleeping next to me. I pinch myself and find that I am very much awake. I check my cell phone and find that the date is May 7, 2009. Phew! What a nightmare! But it did teach me a lesson - I should learn to have a perfect work-life balance. If work gives you the money to run your family it is your family for whom you are working - equal importance needs to be give at both ends.

No comments: